Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase an item through one of these links, I might receive a small commission. This would be at no extra cost to you.
This is our first Christmas I have decided to give only five gifts to my daughter. To be honest, I just don’t have the space to keep adding toys too. After Christmas day I am so overwhelmed with all the presents she has received. Not only from me but all her relatives that I have no idea where to put it all. I spend a month trying to reorganize her room and it’s stressful.
I have read about gifting something to wear, something to read, something they want, and something they need. This is a great idea. It’s four things plus what she will get from Santa. She will still get things from family and that I can’t control but I can control what I give her. We made a little Christmas list for her to fill out that I will send to her relatives. This way they will have some ideas. I also hinted some things she would like to do rather than get, like go to paint pottery.
I really want Vay to be excited and grateful with what she is given. She is only five and she is still so happy with anything she receives. Even when it’s something she already has. Nowadays I see so many kids that receive so many gifts at their birthdays that they are overwhelmed and not happy or excited about what they receive. They just rip through gift after gift tossing the presents on the floor after opening and sadly don’t appreciate any of it. Also, I notice things my daughter will really want and will be so excited to receive but in a month she is over it.
Why 4 Gifts
My mother and I were talking about this and she was telling me about her Christmas when she was a child. Her parents would give her and her sister’s items they were in need of. Then they would receive one toy that they had been wanting. She would be so excited about that one thing she would play with it all year. I know nowadays things are much different.
The one thing I was worried about is that I don’t want my daughter to think she is being punished. So I decided to talk to her about only receiving four presents from me. She had no objections and I noticed now when she was writing out her list she takes more time to think about what she really wants to write down.
My daughter and I have put together some items for each category to help you out. I noticed myself trying really hard to think of things she actually needs. A lot of these items are what my daughter wrote on her list.
Something they Need
- Socks and Underwear- This one is kind of a given especially for growing children
- Kid size Towels– I still have the baby size towels and they are just to small for my daughter so she is need of some kid-size towels I like the ones with the hood to keep her head warm
- Sheets and/or comforter- My daughter recently got a new bed and I bought her a thin comforter and sheets but now it’s getting colder at night so I wanted to get her extra sheets and a warmer comforter. We are loving this floral bedding.
- School Jacket with logo/ School Jacket– This could go in something to wear but it’s something she is in need of. At her school, they wear uniforms and can only wear one of the approved jackets with the school logo. If you don’t need a jacket with a logo maybe your child is in need of a jacket for colder weather.
- Toy organizer or stuffed animal holder for their room- Vay likes to know where her toys are and she was really excited when I bought her toy organizer. I love this idea of putting all the stuffed animals in the bag and it makes a bean bag seat but with the stuffed animals. This way the stuffed animals are out of sight and it doesn’t look as messy.
Something to Wear
- Nightgown– My daughter loves the full-length nightgowns they make her feel like a princess.
- JoJo bows– It seems like every little girl at Vay’s school has JoJo bows and she really wants another one.
- Skorts– Vay loves skirts and dresses she is not a fan of pants. She already has a lot of dresses but she has grown out of most of her skorts so this is a little bit of a need and want.
- leg warmers/ knee high socks– My daughter actually wrote llama leg warmers because she really loves llamas right now but a lot of little girls are loving Unicorns right now.
- Ballet clothes- any type of clothes they need for a sport or activity they do, or yoga clothes- Vay does ballet and she is growing like a weed so having a new ballet outfit is definitely something she would love.
Something to Read
- Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage To Be Who You Are– This is a book we have not read yet but I have been wanting to get for my daughter.
- I can read Books– My daughter is just starting to read and I heard there are great books to start with.
- Pinkalicious Phonics Box Set– This is another My first I can read books but this is the one my daughter picked out herself
- School Zone- Big Kindergarten Workbook–
- If you feel like you already have so many books I have seen on Facebook where friends get together and trade books. Another idea is if your child doesn’t already have one go and get them there own library card.
Something They Want
- Powerwheels Barbie Dream Camper– This is what my daughter really wants but this is a big ticket item.
- Hatchimals Surprise Twins
- Little Live Scruff a luvs
- L.O.L Surprise Bigger Surprise
- Little Live Wrappables
- Kids art set and canvas– Vay loves doing her art and tells everyone is an artist so this is a great gift idea if your little one loves art.
If you feel like four gifts aren’t enough and you want to give them more I understand. Maybe pick a couple of gifts from each category that way they don’t just receive toys. Vay will also have her stocking with all the wonderful things Santa fills it up with. So technically she will be receiving more than five gifts. I hope this helps you with your holiday shopping and gives you some ideas of items other than toys. Let me know what your guys do for gifts in your home.